Sunday, February 21, 2010
I've finished the head for the woman at the well. I am very pleased at how this has turned out. I can see my sculpting skills getting better with each doll I make. I researched her make up. The wig is made from rare black sheep's wool. I found it online at Etsy. It came all the way from the UK. I am very pleased with the effect and will be buying from them again. I am working on sculpting the hands for this doll now. I don't enjoy it as much as the head, but it's an important part of the personality of the doll.
Saturday, February 13, 2010
After doing some research on E-bay, I've decided to make a piece to sell there and see what happens. Hopefully this will give me an idea of how much to price my works, and whether people want the kind of stuff I make.
Last week I was fooling around with a lump of clay, and sculpted the head of a little fairy boy. The piece that I am working on evolved from there. I asked myself who is this and what is he doing. I imagined a scene of a little boy, peeking from behind mushrooms. After sculpting the boy, and the mushrooms, painting them and setting them up on the stand, I decided that he needed a playmate.
I find it interesting that some artists come up with their compositions all at once. They make a drawing and then go from there. My art work evolves, and grows. As it has with this piece. My eight year old son, Jonny, asked me why I've never made a black girl. I told him that I would with this one. So little Danny (he's dressed like a Dandelion) is playing with Susan (who will be dressed as a Black Eyed Susan).
Thursday, February 4, 2010
This is the dress that I was commissioned to make. The original dress that this one is based on was cute, but I think that with the small modifications I've made, and the nicer fabric, mine turned out better. But, I guess that's for the client to decide.
I bought the burn out fabric at 60% off after Halloween. The dress is built on a camisole. The burn out fabric is lined in white satin. The binding around the top skirt took two days to hand sew.