Well, I've finally gotten what I want. I'm sewing for money. I have several doll orders and orders for the Birdie Mobile. And I have people contacting me for advice on doll making. Life in the Burton household is crazy right now. We can't find enough sipper cups, backpacks, homework folders, shoes etc! The laundry is piling up to the sky, and the kitchen floor is never clean. I guess you should be careful what you ask for, huh? LOL!
Life is good. It's just a little messy right now!
Friday, September 25, 2009
This was quite a challenge to make.
His scissors are made with shrinky dinks and then "bolted" together using silver wire and glass beads.
His buckles are all jewelry findings, and his studs are all glass beads.
his body is made from fake leather, and his head from muslin. His hair is Yarn that was separated into two strands, and then teased into what you see here after being wefted and sewn on.
Edward took about 24 hours to make. For me, that was 3 days.
His face was drawn with disappearing ink pen and then painted using acrylics and fabric textile medium.
He's jointed using black buttons.
Tuesday, September 22, 2009
I love wearing broomstick skirts. In Arizona where I live, it's just miserable wearing jeans in the summer. Making the skirts can be expensive because they require so much yardage. That's why I became excited when I found a lovely vintage sheet with blue flowers all over it at the Goodwill for 4 bucks. I spent more on the ribbon and rickrack that will go on it, than the fabric itself. Now, I just need to find the time to actually sew it up!
Edited to add photo of finished skirt. And I'm working on another that I bought at a thrift store. It was a size 10. I wear a size 20, so needless to say, I've needed to add fabric to it. Hopefully after coffee staining the fabrics, they'll all meld into one another. This will be my shabby chic skirt.
I just thought I'd share a little something that I've been making over and over. It's a birdie mobile. Originally I'd drafted the pattern for someone who wanted to make an Ann Wood cake topper. When my little sister wisted a birdie mobile on Etsy, I decided to use my pattern to make her one. It turned out so nice that I decided to make one for my girls' room. I used the pictures of them to sell the birdie pattern on Etsy. The pattern has done really well, and i've received orders to make birdie mobiles. So here they are. These are the two originals.
Wednesday, September 16, 2009
One of my friends saw the Wednesday Addams doll and asked if I could make a Jack Skellington for her son. I knew I could. I'm really happy how he turned out, and now I have orders for one more and a Sally to go with him. There are several others who are "thinking about ordering one." It's nice to be making some money off my dolls, even if I do have to run a sweat shop. LOL!
I have patterned him, but I don't want to have to write out the directions on how to put him together.
Edited to add pictures of Sally.
I set out to make this doll three times. Twice I'd finished a sculpted head from Super Sculpey, and they both cracked in the oven.
The third time, I made a needle sculpted head, and the personality was all wrong. I decided i needed to do something simpler. So, this is how she turned out.