Friday, December 11, 2009

A private moment between mother and son


I wanted to create a Mary and Jesus doll that was more personal. I imagine that before the stable was filled with shepherds, that Mary had some time alone with her new baby, and that she sang to him. She sits upon a bed of straw, and holds her baby in her arms. I wanted to get away from the posed Mary. The iconic image of her sitting on a rock or kneeling is unrealistic. Anyone who's ever had a baby knows that this is not likely.
Her head, lower arms, and lower legs are made from Super Sculpey. Her seat is made from paper clay and covered in excelsior (wood shavings) and her body is cloth with an armature. Her features are painted using acrylics. The baby Jesus is also made of Super Sculpey.
This is the first of other dolls I will be making to fill out a Nativity Scene, and is a gift for my Mother in law.

1 comment:

Melanie said...

you did an amazing job!